Single community Münster
Today, Munster's downtown area, the Town Hall, Police and Fire Department headquarters, the Centre for the Visual and Performing Arts, and the Munster Post Office are all situated on Ridge Road.
In the late 17th and early 18th centuries, the area that is today Munster was part of land claimed by France as French territory.
Before long more and more people moved to the "Munster" Area, and in 1907 Munster was incorporated as a town, with 76 residents voting "yes" for the incorporation and 28 voting "no." Munster soon became a booming town that attracted many people.
Munster is bordered on the north by the Little Calumet River, a shallow river surrounded by a thin strip of wooded area; and on the west by the Illinois state line.
In the 1760s the British claimed the land where the Potawatomi lived as part of the British Empire.
Twenty years later George Rogers Clark overran the British, claiming the land for the new and independent country known as the United States of America.
When Jacob Munster, a young man from the Netherlands who until the 1860s spelled his surname "Monster," opened an area General Store complete with a U. postal station on the back, the local farmers and settlers came to rely on the postal station, which soon became a United States Post Office.
The post office was named Munster, as it was located in Jacob Munster's general store.